Monday, January 14, 2008

Google Maps With Positioning Rocks!

Two experiences have changed my perception of what I really need in a cell phone.

1. Wi-Fi

2. Google Maps with Positioning

Until I experienced these two capabilities on my Pearl 8120, I thought that GPS was more important to me than having Wi-Fi in a phone. GoogleMaps

Well, that all changed!
First of all, having Wi-Fi in a Blackberry makes any data connection perform just like my PC on a cable modem, in other words, FAST! Second, the new Google Maps with cell tower positioning works amazingly well.

Below are two screen shots (the second one a zoomed in view) from my Pearl with Google Maps running at my house (the star). GM1

Accuracy is about 800 meters, but that's with hitting only two cell towers.

Yesterday, I turned on Google Maps while driving down 101 and I was amazed that the little blue positioning dot was placed right over the freeway as I drove.

Driving directions are also a snap. I just selected "start from my position" and moved the map to my home star as the destination. Then a purple route came up and it said that I would be home in 19 minutes. OK, one more thing. I had to try…turn on traffic. I could see exactly where I would experience delays on 101 and it turned out to be correct.

So, who really needs GPS in a cell phone? Hmmm…

No comments: